Monday, November 16, 2009

Salt Lake


Alan and I went to Salt Lake for work last week. As I lay in bed the first night I had a strong feeling of going home. Not home in St. George, but to our house in Salt Lake. I really missed our house. What I missed the most was the sound of the door opening and closing. For anyone that had been to our house they would know the sound I am talking about. Our door had blinds over the window and each time the door opened and closed it made a distinct noise. It was a heavy door and as it closed it banged a little louder than most doors as if it was slammed shut even when closed softly. As I talked to Alan about this I figured out what I missed the most were the things that went in and out of the door. I missed what it meant hearing the door open and close.

I miss Oso coming in and out of the house. Oso was such a good dog. He was so calm, loving, and good with children. I miss him searching for your hand to pet him, and I miss the way he slept by the fireplace.

I miss the sound of the door opening as Alan brought in dinner in the Dutch oven. Tim, Lindsey, Dan, Tony and their families would come over and we would make something new in the Dutch oven. I miss having everyone over for Dutch oven parties.

I miss the joy of K and B throwing the door open with excitement to go camping, or rock climbing. Cooking breakfast in the mornings together and riding bikes outside in the driveway. I miss all the funny things B would say, and all the games K would make up for us to play. The last time the door closed behind them was one of the hardest days of my life, but I am thankful for all the times that they were able to come in and out of that door.

I miss our neighbors and how we changed the gate in our fence to be closer to the house so that they could come over easier. The first time they knocked on our door and we realized we had already met and had something in common.

I loved hearing the door open as Alan came home from work on his lunch breaks. There are few things better than taking a nap in the middle of the day together snuggled up on the couch.

I even miss the sound of the door opening as people brought stuff over to store in our basement and garage.

There are many more memories of people and things that entered our door in Salt Lake. I am so grateful for those memories. As I look back on the 2 years that we lived in Salt Lake, and all the people that came in and out of our house for just a minute or to stay for months I long to experience those memories again. It makes me even more excited for our house here in St. George and all of the memories that will be made here in our home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We also love the homes that we have lived in and think about the good and bad things in our lives that have happened while living in certain homes. We love thinking about how are kids have grown and where we have been. I hope that you are feeling better. The cupcakes that you made are so cute! I can't wait to see your cute family this weekend, and I am very excited for you to ride the horse that Jer is working with. I rode her today and she is doing so great

Nelson Family said...

You made me cry! I really miss that house too. I miss all the trips I would make from Snow to come see you when I needed a friend the most. I am so happy your new house is so close to me!